Deployment to Employment – Opportunities and Assistance for Veterans
Dubuque County is proud of Iowa’s commitment to veterans and their families and believes our area complements Iowa’s mission to welcome, employ, and honor those who serve our country. We invite you to explore the Greater Dubuque area and discover why it is a great place to live, work, play and raise a family!
A Place to Call Home
Recognized by the National League of Cities as an All-America City in 2007, 2012, 2013, and 2017, Dubuque County is thriving, with a population of over 96,000 and growing. It is the center for retail, health care, education, employment and entertainment for the tri-state area of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Commuting is hassle-free and we remain one of the safest communities in the country. Dubuque County embraces small-town warmth and friendliness while providing all of the conveniences and advantages of city life.
Local Incentive Package
- AccessDubuqueJobs.com: Whether you are searching for the most current job listings, posting your resume, or managing your online applications, this free and innovative tool will connect you to hundreds of prospective employers immediately. Search our area’s open positions now on AccessDubuqueJobs.com.
- Educational-based training programs: The Greater Dubuque area has a unique program called Opportunity Dubuque which provides short-term certificate training to upgrade individual skills in high-demand, high-wage careers within the Greater Dubuque area. Opportunity Dubuque helps eliminate barriers to obtaining education through tuition reimbursement, transportation assistance, child care provision and on-going support from education to employment. Qualified veterans willing to learn new skills will have access to this innovative program at no charge to them.
- Iowa Workforce Comprehensive One Stop Center: Our local center provides customized resources to help advance your career. Services include resume preparation, self-assessment and skill development, career counseling, and job search training. Veterans with significant barriers to employment will receive additional intensive services from a Veterans Representative.
Dubuque is the proud home of three Active Yellow Ribbon Program private universities and one nationally-recognized Veteran Friendly community college. Clarke University, Loras College, the University of Dubuque and Northeast Iowa Community College enroll more than 12,000 students and employ more than 1,600 area residents. These same colleges and universities are all members of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium. The impact of an educated population on future workforce may be the single most important benefit that our institutions of higher education provide.
To learn more about the educational incentives available to veterans, click here.
- Newcomer Concierge Service: Moving can be difficult. Greater Dubuque Development's one-stop concierge services for our veterans will help make the transition to civilian life and the Greater Dubuque area seamless. Our staff will provide a direct connection to the information you need to simplify your move to our community. This service ensures that individuals and families who have chosen Dubuque are not only welcomed into the community, but also equipped with the knowledge needed to make the most of the experience. To learn more about our concierge services and how we might assist you, click here.
- Distinctively Dubuque: This free, interactive learning experience will help you gain valuable knowledge about the community in a fun and relaxing atmosphere. This program offers opportunities to meet new people, learn about Dubuque’s arts and culture offerings, recreation spots, things to do, and more, explore the city, participate in networking activities with community leaders and residents, and discover traditions that make Dubuque distinct. To learn more or to sign up for Distinctively Dubuque, click here.
- StartUp Dubuque: StartUp Dubuque, brings together key partners, including the Small Business Development Center, Northeast Iowa Community College, and East Central Intergovernmental Association Business Growth to serve our veterans that are aspiring entrepreneurs. StartUp Dubuque is a one-stop shop for information, resources, training, and mentoring. To learn more about StartUp Dubuque, click here.
The Greater Dubuque area also offers a variety of veteran resources. To learn more about the veterans resources available in our area, click here.
To learn more about Home Base Iowa and information from the State of Iowa, visit www.homebaseiowa.gov.
Home Base Iowa Businesses
The following employers have signed on to be Home Base Iowa Businesses by pledging their commitment to hire veterans. Job opportunities can be found on AccessDubuqueJobs.com.
A.Y. McDonald Mfg. Co.
Aaron’s Sales and Lease
Area Residential Care
American Customer Care
Berry Global, Inc.
Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel
Betty Jane Homemade Candies
Bimbo Bakeries USA
Bodine Electric Company
Burt Steve & Son Garage
Cascade Manufacturing Company
City of Dubuque
City of Peosta
Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque
Conlon Construction Co.
Cottingham & Butler
Crescent Community Health Center
Crescent Electric Supply Co.
Diamond Jo Casino
Dubuque Mattress Inc
Dupaco Community Credit Union
Dyersville Die Cast
Eagle Point Software
EconoLodge Inn and Suites
Engineering Services & Products Company (Farmtek)
Express Employment Professionals
Grand Harbor Resort
Greater Dubuque Development Corporation
Harris Golf Carts
Hawkeye Boat Sales
Hillcrest Family Services
Hills & Dales
Hirschbach Motor Lines
Home Instead Senior Care
Iowa Greyhound Association
John C. Kaiser Company
John Deere Dubuque Works
KC’s Downtown Auto Center
Little Rascals Preschool & Daycare
Little Treasures Preschool & Daycare
Medical Associates Clinic and Health Plans
Mississippi Valley Carpet Care LLC
Molo Petroleum, LLC
Multicultural Family Center
Northeast Iowa Community College
Organic Swine Company
Paul Kern Insurance Agency Inc.
Pinot's Palette Dubuque
Portzen Construction, Inc.
Prairie Farms Dairy
Progressive Processing, LLC.
ProPulse, A Schieffer Co.
Radio Dubuque (KDTH, KAT-FM, and 101.1 The River)
Sedona Staffing Services
Service Master by Banfield Seven Hills
Shire (BioLife Plasma Services)
Spahn & Rose Lumber Company
The Rose of Dubuque
The View Restaurant
Thompson Truck & Trailer
Townsquare Media of Dubuque
Transamerican Financial Advisors
Uelner Precision Tools & Dies, Inc.
United Clinical Laboratories
UnityPoint Health – Finley Hospital
University of Dubuque
Van Meter, Inc.
Webber Metal Products, Inc.
Woodward Communications, Inc.
Workforce Opportunity Services